“Struggles for freedom fail only if we assume that unlike every other generation, we are destined to see the end of the bent arc of the moral universe.” – Briallen Hopper
2016 has been one hell of a ride. This year, we have been a part of some of the most important victories our movement has seen in decades – Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, momentum towards the repeal of the Hyde Amendment, and new protections in housing and healthcare for trans people.
We have also found ourselves playing defense, witnessing the rise of “bathroom bills,” voter suppression laws, and a President-elect (and movement of supporters) who has promised to undermine or undo damn near everything URGE stands for.
It has been a year of extreme highs and devastating lows, and I have learned that we cannot get complacent – because whether we are facing victories or defeats, we must remember that there is still so much work to do.
We are resilient. We are creative. We are committed. We are Not Done Fighting. And we need your support.
With your support, URGE commits to:
- Remind our people they are beautiful humans worthy of respect and dignity. We will love them and make sure they know it. And just as we did with our #AbortionPositive campus tour and social media campaign this spring, we will continue to boldly declare that shame has no place in the decisions we make around our health, our bodies, our sexualities, or our identities.
- Continue our work to increase voter engagement amongst young people. In the 2016 election, young people were the most progressive voting block, and they showed up in higher numbers than the last presidential election. Our canvassing and phone banking and GOTV work with young people is paying off, and we are going to keep it up every year — national election or not.
- Stay on the offense, even while playing defense. The next few years will be tough. We may find ourselves fighting more defensive legislative battles. But this will not stop us from being proactive. Regardless of what our opposition throws at us, we will fight. We will not lose the momentum we’ve gained through the introduction of proactive legislation like the EACH Woman Act over the past couple of years.
If you, like URGE, are Not Done Fighting, we need your help. We need your money, we need your commitment, and we need you to tell the world. Here’s how:
- Money – go to URGE.org and make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor. Every donation, big or small, helps us keep fighting. All donations over $100 will receive an URGE t-shirt. And, URGE’s Board of Directors will match total donations, dollar for dollar, up to $4,000.
- Commitment – stop, breathe, think, get creative, and make a list of things YOU can commit to do.
- Tell the world – share your commitments on social media using the hashtag #NotDoneFighting and encourage your friends to do the same.
The end of the bent arc of the moral universe may yet remain out of reach, but we are Not Done Fighting. Join us in the fight to get there.
“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.