APPLY TO JOIN NEW COHORT OF YOUNG STORYTELLERS
SPEAK UP, BUILD COMMUNITY, BE COMPENSATED FOR YOUR WRITING
Applications due: March 9th, 2020
URGE: Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity envisions a world where each of us can live, love, create families, express our gender, and enjoy sexuality with liberation, power, and joy and without stigma, scarcity, or interference. Young people are building this vision and leading the way to sexual and reproductive justice for all by organizing our peers, mobilizing our communities, and building a culture of civic engagement and leadership for a youth-driven agenda. As the only national reproductive justice organization that centers the voices and leadership of young people, URGE builds power with and for young people of color, young LGBTQ+ folks, and young people in the South and Midwest. Because in a country where young LGBTQ+ folks and young people of color have reproductive justice, everyone will.
Our voices matter. For too long, the narratives and expertise of young queer and trans people of color in the South and Midwest have been ignored or talked over. Together, we will build community and amplify our voices, our stories, and our perspectives on reproductive justice, gender equity, and LGBTQ+ liberation. Will you join us?
What Our Program Offers:
Through Our Folks: Voices of LGBTQ+ Youth Of Color, spokespeople and storytellers will have the opportunity to gain skills in giving media interviews, writing for a variety of blogs and media outlets, and using social media to amplify your work. The cohort will begin with training during our Young People’s Reproductive Justice Power Summit in May, and participants will be expected to produce 2 pieces of content (written, video, or other) each month from September 2020 – April 2021. Participants will be provided a stipend of $125 per month to support your efforts.
Participants will come away from this program with a large portfolio of written work, increased visibility in the dialogue around reproductive justice, concrete skills in journalism, and the knowledge that you have helped call attention to issues important to your campus, community, and state. We hope that through this program, participants will also find a community of writers that share your values and passion for social justice as you continue to build power and amplifying your voices with URGE. View members of our current Our Folks cohort here.
- Stipend of $1000 for participation September 2020 – April 2021 (paid $125 each month, contingent on fulfillment of program commitments).
- Develop leadership skills that can be utilized within URGE for future opportunities to connect with the work after the cohort has concluded.
- Receive high-quality writing training and the opportunity to workshop writing with URGE staff.
- Join URGE staff, former Our Folks participants and other cohort participants for URGE’s Young People’s Reproductive Justice Power Summit to kick off the cohort, participate in media and issue trainings, and build community with other participants.
- Showcase writing to a large audience and receive support with promoting articles.
- If accepted, applicants who are enrolled in college may also consult with their college or university to receive academic credit.