APPLY TO JOIN A NEW COHORT OF YOUNG STORYTELLERS
SPEAK UP, BUILD COMMUNITY, BE COMPENSATED FOR YOUR WRITING
Applications due: June 18th, 2021
URGE: Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity envisions a world where each of us can live, love, create families, express our gender, and enjoy sexuality with liberation, power, and joy and without stigma, scarcity, or interference. Young people are building this vision and leading the way to sexual and reproductive justice for all by organizing our peers, mobilizing our communities, and building a culture of civic engagement and leadership for a youth-driven agenda. As the only national reproductive justice organization that centers the voices and leadership of young people, URGE builds power with and for young people of color, young LGBTQ+ folks, and young people in the South and Midwest. Because in a country where young LGBTQ+ folks and young people of color have reproductive justice, everyone will.
Our voices matter. For too long, the narratives and expertise of young queer and trans people of color in the South and Midwest have been ignored or talked over. Together, we will build community and amplify our voices, our stories, and our perspectives on reproductive justice, gender equity, and LGBTQ+ liberation. Will you join us?
What Our Program Offers:
Through Our Folks: Voices of LGBTQ+ Youth Of Color, spokespeople, and storytellers will have the opportunity to gain skills in giving media interviews, writing for a variety of blogs and media outlets, and using social media to amplify your work. The cohort will begin with training later this summer, and participants will be expected to produce 2 pieces of content (written, video, or other) each month from September 2021 – April 2022. Participants will be provided a stipend of $125 per month to support their efforts.
Participants will come away from this program with a large portfolio of written work, increased visibility in the dialogue around reproductive justice, concrete skills in journalism, and the knowledge that they have helped call attention to issues important to their campus, community, and state. We hope that through this program, participants will also find a community of writers that share their values and passion for social justice as they continue to build power and amplify their voices with URGE. View members of our current Our Folks cohort here.
- Produce 2 unique pieces per month related to reproductive justice issues for URGE’s official blog. Pieces may be written articles or videos.
- Develop at least 2 op-eds to be published in an external outlet – university, local, national, or online publication.
- Stipend of $1000 for participation September 2021 – April 2022 (paid $125 each month, contingent on fulfillment of program commitments).
- Develop leadership skills that can be utilized within URGE for future opportunities to connect with the work after the cohort has concluded.
- Receive high-quality writing training and the opportunity to workshop writing with URGE staff.
- Participate in media and issue training and build community with other participants.
- Showcase writing to a large audience and receive support with promoting articles.
- If accepted, applicants who are enrolled in college may also consult with their college or university to receive academic credit.