The Feminist’s Guide to Holiday Shopping
Posted by Caitlyn Martin
December 21, 2015
It’s that time of the year when we’re making holiday wish lists. Sometimes, we know exactly what we want and can provide our friends and family with a thorough list. Other times, we have no idea what to ask for. If you fall into that second category—or if you have a friend who’s really into reproductive justice and you don’t know what to get them—then this list is for you!
So here it is, a list of reproductive justice-related gifts that are perfect for getting or giving!
- The Repeal Hyde Art Project has great options, from handmade posters to t-shirts. They’re dedicated to raising awareness about how harmful the Hyde Amendment is, as well as creating conversations and making change.
- The Bitch Media store offers some pretty amazing stuff too, especially if you’re looking for books or coffee mugs. Alternatively, you could ask for/give a subscription to their magazine, or become a member with a monthly donation and get a subscription as well as things like stickers ($10 level) or autographed books ($50 level).
- Autostraddle, “an intelligent, hilarious & provocative voice and a progressively feminist online community for a new generation of kickass lesbian, bisexual & otherwise inclined ladies (and their friends)” (according to their website), also has an online store with shirts and stickers and a flask and so much more. (I know lots of people feel the need for a flask around the holidays.) Like Bitch Media, they also have the option of becoming a monthly donor, which gives you access to exclusive content.
- Feel like expanding your knowledge, or know somebody who does? Everyday Feminism offers two online courses, one on self-love and the other on relationships. These are only $97, but they offer scholarships to make it affordable for everyone!
- Want/need a good read? The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander, S.E.X. by Heather Corinna, and this list are all good places to start.
Already have everything you want? (Or already have everything listed above?) Consider donating to some very worthy causes in lieu of gifts. I’ve got suggestions for that as well!
- Donate to an abortion fund. As we know, paying for an abortion can be incredibly difficult, but finances should never be somebody’s barrier between them and the healthcare they need. That’s what abortion funds are for, and there’s plenty to choose from.
- Donate to help out trans* people, whether they are saving up for surgery, buying medication, or just trying to make ends meet. A quick search on GoFundMe or similar crowd-funding websites will give you a long list of people who need your help.
- Donate to URGE!
I hope I’ve given you some helpful ideas, and have a happy holiday season!
Image via: Repeal Hyde Art Project