URGE Alabama Policy Priorities 2021
Posted by Jaz
February 9, 2021
Right now, our priorities are to:
- OPPOSE HB 1/SB 10 which makes the provision of gender-affirming health care a felony for doctors, as well as requires principals, teachers, school counselors, nurses, etc. to make disclosures to parents regarding their child’s gender or face criminal charges.
- HB 1 & SB 10 are scheduled to receive public hearings in their perspective committees on Wednesday, February 10.
- What can you do? Call, email, tweet, and/or write letters to your legislators expressing to them how dangerous this bill is for trans and non-binary youngins all over the state. You can do that with just 1 click here!
- URGE talking points opposing HB 1/SB 10 can be found on our URGE action tool.
- TO OPPOSE HB 317
- which propagates the scientifically false narrative that medication abortion can be reversed. Sign up to join our legislative action team to help us organize against this harmful bill. SUPPORT SB 196 revising language in the sex ed law in Alabama. (i.e. STD > STI; AIDS > HIV; requires sex ed to be medically accurate, etc.) and completely removes the requirement to instruct with “An emphasis, in a factual manner and from a public health perspective, that homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public and that homosexual conduct is a criminal offense under the laws of the state.” Sign up to join our legislative action team to help us organize against this harmful bill.
- Other bills that have been introduced that will affect reproductive health, rights, and justice and our position on them include:
- SUPPORT HB 36 which would bring Alabama up to the federal standards of shackling pregnant people who are incarcerated.
- SUPPORT HB 88 which would require local boards of education to provide free menstrual products in girl’s restrooms at schools under the board’s jurisdiction.
- SUPPORT SB 100 which would require employers to make reasonable efforts to provide chest-feeding employees with time and space to pump in private.
- OPPOSE HB 13 which extends the State Hate Crime Law to include cops as a protected class.
- OPPOSE HB 237 which propagates the scientifically false narrative that a fetus can show meaningful signs of life during a “failed” abortion.
- OPPOSE HB 271 which would allow the disclosure of a person’s photograph if they have been arrested for “prostitution.”
- HB 271 is scheduled to be heard in the House Judiciary committee on Wednesday, February 10.
- OPPOSE HB 133 which increases the charges, creates a mandatory minimum sentencing, and mandatory holding periods for assault against a first responder.
You can sign up to get State email alerts, policy actions, and learn how to plug into URGE Alabama’s work at the Alabama Legislature here: https://p2a.co/Rog6y40
Leave a Reply